Tuesday, June 13, 2006
My first day back to bloggersville and I have a few observations:
The blogs are still PO'd at GWB. I admire people like Sarah and Betmo who have declared their sites politics and or Bush-free zones. It is such the tired subject. Every time I jump to a blog and its an Anti-Bush rant I tend to click away real quick. Not because I defend him,.. God knows i've opened some nice new orifices on him the past few weeks (oh no.. now its me the Secret Service will be after, Ellie...). Its just that the echo chamber has nothing new. Nothing. But here's something I mentioned today at Ellie's blog. Bush is on the rise. There is a convergence of events that may turn out to be a perfect storm for the Dems. Like them or not, the team of Josh Bolten and Tony Snow has snazzed up the Administration's image. At least to the real deciders of the elections, those dang independents. Here is my reasoning.
1. Has anybody noticed his poll numbers have gone up 8 points in under 2 months?... of course not. And people say the media in not biased. How many times you read this headline "Bush approval ratings fall to new low...", yet I've still to read a major editorial espousing his number's jump.
2. Rove is indictiment-free and can concentrate on what he does best, get back into Bush's brain and create deep worries to Carville and co. Rove may be many unmentionable things, but to deny he is an electoral math wizard is having your head stuck in the sand. A worry-free Rove does not bode well for the left.
3. Immigration. Now that he is pushing for English as the national language and National Guardsmen at the border, he is finally appealing to the red-blood Repubs and half the Blue-dog democrats who agree on this most nationalistic of issues. Once his approval numbers jump above 40% again he unleashed maddog Cheney onto Dennis Hastert and they will quickly fall into lockstep with a conference Bill. If its signed by October then the base begins to hope again. You think the dune buggy moment was corny? Watch the photo-op he pulls with Sherrif Arpaio in pink prisoner underwear.... and with all that jogging he does, you know he has the legs to pull it off...
4. Iraq. Call me a dumb-ass Troll but I see the thing turning. New Government, regular people turning in information against the terrorists, ... in spite of the up-spike of bombs, the hit on Zarquawi was HUGE. I've read 5th Estate's opinion that we killed a fly with a hatchet instead of capturing him and getting info... are you kidding me? think of the security issues, the mad bombers nuking every thing in site, the jihad marches in the Arab streets demanding his release,... TWO public trial instead of one.... no way. I'm glad he is room temperature. Lets see him try to do a clitoridectomy's on the 72 virgins up in Allah's presence. That's a popcorn moment if there ever was one.
5. Think of the way the Bolten/Snow team is milking news. They are creating news cycles, not reacting to them. Every 10 minutes there is another "good" story out. The Republican Congressional victory in California, Good economy, Bush surprise visit to Iraq, Zarquawi's sleeping with the fishes, National Guards building border fences, .... Tony Snow knows how to do this. Remember, he was mostly in charge of the daily message during Bush 41's Panama incursion. He knows the buzz words, he knows the news cycle ebb and tides, and most important he knows how to dress up a turd, no matter how bad it smells. Be afraid,... be very afraid.
Ok, no more Bush topics (well, at least until someone makes me...) Tomorrow is my long-awaited "Persona de la semana" version 2. ..... feels good to be back.