Wednesday, May 17, 2006
THE REAL REASON A FENCE WON'T WORK...
If you read any of my postings you know what side of the fence (no pun intended) I veer towards in the immigration battle.
This started as a broad posting about solving the immigration problem as a whole, but then I had an epiphany. keep it simple and they (the stubborn ones) will come.
Top 5 reasons why I changed my mind about the fence. (I can do that, right?)
1. The imagery. I know, I'm wussying-out here, but I can't wrap my frontal lobe around the Statue of Liberty saying "Bring me your weak, your hungry and your tired" while at the same time building a massive wall to keep those very mentioned out, regardless of the legal implications. Keep reading, My twisted logic will make sense in a few paragraphs.
2. Show me a 25 foot high fence, and I'll show you a 26 foot ladder. Trust me on this one. I can jump any fence given enough motivation and desperation to do so.
3. The money. Sorry to be such as cheapskate, tight-fisted Libertarian but I'll make a trade for ya'. I'll give you your 2,000 mile fence, if you give me back 4 Aircraft Carrier Groups (that are not needed), lop-off 1/2 of the intelligence community bureocracy (see my intelligence post), and kill all federal and state taxes on Gasoline,... forever! Now you can have your damn fence.
4. The Feds aren't prosecuting ANYBODY! The raid on the pallet company? A joke. 45 minutes after they arested 1200 people, 70% of them were back at the Home Depot parking lot. Until the Goverment grows a pair and starts to really lay the lumber on employers it is not going to diminish the volume coming in one iota.
5. The 14th Amendment (THE REAL REASON). Instant Citizenship for persons born on US soil is the real prize here, Sparky. That is the holy grail of achievements for illegals. Think of it. Who in their right moral mind is going to expel an illegal that has citizens for children? Nobody. The PC crowd, the Church, the left wing, the ACLU,... they would go ape! THAT is were the bullet hits the bone. Even Canadians, those monoliths of liberal dogma knocked that law out of the hockey arena when Chinese immigrants were flying in by the tens of thousands just to give birth on Canadian soil. Sorry said the the Mounties, no more social programs for non-citizens (egads!!). Earn your damn citizenship, they said, the statue of Liberty is in New York not in Quebec. (why did that not make the news?)
Until WE knock that obsolete, cleverly-guised and stupidly created Civil War-era law from the Constitution nothing is going to stop the crossings. Not a fence, not the military, not even Paris Hilton and Angelina Jolie posing naked in Tijuana with signs that say "What happens in Mexico, stays in Mexico" will put an end to the burrito highway.
Hey George, do numbers 4 and 5 for me and the fence won't be needed. 6 to 8 million will slowly go home by attrition over 20 years because they would have no reason to stay. No legal work, no citizenship, no public education for their kids, no free hospital care at taxpayer expense. Nothing. The gravy train has left the station.
Yeah, I know. I'm insensitive, inhumane, hardened to the human condition, stupid, xenophobic and even dangerous. Quick,... somebody take away my keyboard before I influence 20 million people....